This is the combined log for 09/05/31 and 09/06/06, as the former log was purely combat, the latter purely RP.
1. Our peaceful journey back to the Pearl Court after having grouped up together, is interrupted by a chase scene outside. Evidently some shifters (we are in the Shifter Enclave) are fleeing what appear to be guards. Jessica hails the guards telepathically, and they come over the window. At this point it is discovered, via mindsight, that these are illusions. We turn around to find ourselves ambushed by what we later find out to be Reth mercenaries.
2. Combat ensues. We battle 6 or 7 Reth, slaying all but two out in the open city. In the process, we are “smoked” out of the building by the Reth, so when combat concludes the building is still burning. We use baleful polymorph on two captives to make them easier to transport—placing them in a hat.
3. We see some people attempting to put out the blaze and are contented that they’ll succeed. We decide that it’s important that we return to the Pearl Court post-haste to deposit our captives and try and get abreast of the situation.
4. The party drops off the captives at the Pearl Court prison, and then go to visit Lazerous, Jessica’s master, who gives them a book on the Reth. Jessica also solicits Lazerous’ help in “checking” on the captives daily.
5. The party splits, Jessica goes off to file a police report, the others head to the library to find more information on the Reth. On the way over, Seph notices that a piece of paper falls out of the book Lazerous gave them. On it is a sketch, in Lazerous’ hand, that looks like a black ship. This little clue has not been explored further. Upon arriving at the library the party uncovers the following salient facts:
- Reth are cursed to slay their own bloodline descendants.
- Reth have been known to be mercenaries for people who have contacts on Acheron.
- Mindflayer incursions in the area have been increasing, with the most recent attack the previous day being the most open one. They have not been taking thralls, oddly enough. Seph infers that this may be because they are pressured by some outside force to accomplish something beyond their normal instincts. It is not revealed at this time what that may be.
- The question of whether the mindflayers and the Reth are related in some way is raised, but not answered.
6. Jessica simultaneous to bullet point 5, files a police report and absconds the party of any relation to the property damage resulting from the brief melee. She then heads down to the two prisoners and conducts a hasty, and poignant interrogation. The interrogation was done privately and the details may be divulged in Jessica’s Diary. The following evidence was left: A cat has gone missing, a skulking cyst had to be disposed of, one of the prisoners is now un-polymorphed and shackled with metal. Moderate necromantic auras would be found in the interrogation room.
7. Jessica reunites with the party and they decide to head back to the shifter enclave to see if they can drum up any other witnesses. Gern leads the way here and there is a discussion with a shifter sitting on a park bench. The man seems to not know much, apart from offering a description of the Tea House proprietor. Broh, goes an thoroughly inspects the Tea House remains, while Gern questions a local armor vendor. Jessica decides to split off with Seph and head to the Cannith guild house, with which the Tea House was associated. Gern finds that the armor smith had a custom order of Reth-like armor, made for a full humanoid that was never picked up. He seems unable to divulge the intended buyer. Broh finds evidence of an area that was not burned (later discovered to be where a fire-safe vault was, but is now removed). He finds some exotic urns containing extraplanar tea. Broh also finds evidence that the place had been burned after the fact, in what the party surmises is a cover up attempt.
8. Jessica reveals a little of the interrogation results to Seph, specifically that one of the prisoners was magically prevented from saying anything regarding his employers. Some brief RP ensues, which may be recorded in some detail in Jessica’s dairy, from her perspective. The pair arrives at the Cannith guild house and request to speak to the proprietor of the Tea House, who is revealed then to be Erinica, a Tiefling matching the descriptions by the shifter in the park near the Tea House. Jessica and Erinica talk briefly, before inviting her out to dinner for more discussion. The party reconvenes over dinner and conversation ensues.
9. The following is revealed in this dinner conversation:
- The tea was some form of Dwarven, extraplanar tea.
- Erinica was recruited briefly into the Blood War on Acheron, by some Aasimar.
- The blank spot in the Tea House burn pattern was Erinica’s fire-safe vault. She can track its location, and does so by providing a map that can update its location for 1 hour.